President David Shepherd  CBE FRSA FGRA
Founded 1953

Class 50 Diesels


This class was introduced from 1967 onwards to replace steam locomotives on the Scottish expresses to and from Crewe and then Carlisle, taking over from electric traction. They often worked in tandem and were sent elsewhere when the electrification scheme finally reached Glasgow.


The class were given the nickname of "Hoovers"